SFO is recruiting for Airfield Safety Officers to patrol and inspect the airfield and other facilities as well as conduct investigations to enforce the Airport’s Security Program and to ensure compliance with Federal, Airport and Transportation Security Regulations. This position controls and enforces Airport regulations and gives out admonishments for violations; ensures compliance with and enforces proper procedures; responds to and investigates security breaches and all airfield incidents and accidents and performs other related duties. Ideal candidate has situational and spatial awareness, an understanding of aviation terminology and an ability to stay calm under pressure. Desired candidate has working knowledge of CFR Part 139; experience in communicating with a 2-way radio; a Pilot’s license; excellent oral and written communications skills; and holds certification under the AAAE Airport Certified Employee (ACE) Operations program. See official job posting for more details. Link to job: https://www.jobapscloud.com/SF/sup/bulpreview.asp?R1=cbt&R2=9213&R3=903912
Recruitment #cbt-9213-903912 EOE
The essential functions of this classification include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Inspects and evaluates airfield facilities, such as; runways, taxiways, safety areas, paved & nonpaved surfaces, lighting, signage, markings, security related assets (i.e., fences/gates, navigational aids) and other aeronautical facilities for conformance with safety and security regulations.
• Closes and reopens airfield facilities, including runways, taxiways, ramps, aircraft gate positions, and security related assets (i.e., fences and gates) dependent upon safe and secure conditions.
• Monitors and directs the movement of vehicles, persons, and equipment on the airfield, and provides escort and safety/security support to ensure safe and efficient operations.
• Notifies aeronautical users through various communication channels; monitors multiple radios to ensure safety and security of any changes in airfield conditions.
• Verifies compliance with assigned aircraft parking space to ensure maximum utilization of facilities.
• Enforces Airport regulations and issues citations/admonishments for violations; enters and/or submits citations in database.
• Responds to security breaches, violations, and all emergencies; acts as first responders to all incidents or accidents on the airfield/ramp area, and, as required, administers first aid. Maintains emergency equipment and supplies to be used to respond to any Airport incidents or accidents; sets up and operates the Mobile Command Post. 3
• Investigates all airfield incidents and accidents and identifies potential contributing factors for airfield safety and security; recommends corrective action, including facility repairs/upgrades, and/or new or improved procedures and policies.
• Identifies proper placement and storage of hazardous materials on the airfield; maintains and coordinates removal of ground handling equipment; participates in safety risk assessments; compiles hazard data into Safety Management System (SMS) reports.
• Prepares detailed informational and operational reports related to safety/security incidents, injuries, and accidents. Attends briefings for updates and shares information.
• Conducts wildlife surveys and performs wildlife management and eradication duties, including habitat control, harassment and depredation.
• Develops and administers training programs, standard operating procedures, and other related programs; presents to groups and provides operations related training to airline tenants, service companies or other aeronautical or non-aeronautical users.
• Monitors and coordinates maintenance and construction work sites on the airfield to ensure safety and security; implements and adjusts maintenance and construction site closures based on operational conditions.
Internal Number: 9213
About City and County of San Francisco - San Francisco International Airport
SFO is a world-class, award-winning airport that serves nearly 58 million passengers annually. SFO offers nonstop flights to 51 international cities on 43 international carriers. The Bay Area's largest airport also connects nonstop with 86 U.S. cities on 12 domestic airlines.
SFO’s mission is to provide an exceptional airport in service to our communities, and its core values are safety and security, teamwork, excellence, and care. The airport is committed to redefining air travel by providing the highest level of service to our guests.
The Airport, an enterprise department of the City & County of San Francisco, has a workforce of approximately 1,700 City employees and strives to be a diverse, equitable, and inclusive employer. For more information, visit www.flysfo.com and watch this video about careers at SFO.